TOLEDO—A committee has been formed and is working to bring together former members and students of the former Toledo St. Benedict the Moor Parish and School for an anniversary celebration.
A Sept. 9 celebration is to include a Mass celebrated by Bishop Leonard P. Blair at Toledo St. Martin de Porres, 1119 W. Bancroft St., followed by a brunch at the Toledo Club, 235 14th St.
A history of St. Benedict the Moor Parish and School will be given and pictures and memories will be shared. Former members are encouraged to participate in this memorable event.
Considered the first black Catholic church in the Toledo area, St. Benedict was established as a mission in 1932. As membership increased, a school was opened in 1944 with the Sisters of Notre Dame serving as teachers and administrators. The parish, located at Washington and Dorr streets, closed in 1965 to make way for the construction of Interstate 75.
Any former member or student interested in attending the Mass and brunch should call Sue French at the Catholic Center at 419-244-6711. Participants are invited to bring pictures, news items and memories to share.
The organizing committee consists of former members of St. Benedict, current members of St. Martin de Porres and the Black Catholic Ministries Office of the Diocese of Toledo.