Centenary cross concludes its journey around the diocese

Print E-mail
Friday, 18 March 2011 18:31
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Msgr. Michael Billian installs the centenary cross in its permanent location at Toledo St. Francis de Sales Chapel. (Chronicle photo by Laurie Stevens Bertke)
Msgr. Michael Billian installs the centenary cross in its permanent location at Toledo St. Francis de Sales Chapel. (Chronicle photo by Laurie Stevens Bertke)

TOLEDO—After spending the past year and a half traveling to every parish and religious institution in the 19-county Diocese of Toledo, the centenary cross concluded its journey March 18 at Toledo St. Francis de Sales Chapel.

It is to be permanently displayed in the chapel on Cherry Street, which served as the Diocese of Toledo’s first cathedral from 1910 to 1940.

Crafted by Todd Hafner, a member of Toledo St. John the Baptist and owner of Hafner’s Hardwood Connection Inc. in Toledo, the mahogany cross bears the symbols of the four evangelists and the tower of Toledo, representing the people of the diocese.

The cross began traveling around northwest Ohio in October 2009 after Bishop Leonard P. Blair blessed it during the opening liturgy for the diocesan centenary celebration at Toledo Rosary Cathedral. A map depicting all the stops on its journey can be viewed at www.catholicchronicle.org/index.php/Centenary-Cross/.

Coyle Funeral Home
 
facebook twitter youtube_square rss
Sign up for our Email Newsletter

Greeting from Bishop Daniel E. Thomas

Bishop Thomas

VIDEO: Bishop Daniel E. Thomas, newly appointed as the eighth Bishop of Toledo, recorded a message to the people of the diocese Aug. 26 during his first visit to the area.

Bishop's Corner