GLANDORF—The public is invited to attend the dedication prayer blessing of a new cemetery marker that has been erected in the Glandorf St. John the Baptist Parish Cemetery. The dedication begins after the 10:30 a.m. Mass Sept. 25.
The names of 78 Sisters of the Precious Blood who served the German immigrants of the area are listed on the new marker along with a brief history of the Maria Camp Convent and the Glandorf Convent.
Glandorf St. John the Baptist Cemetery (Chronicle file photo)
The text of the marker reads:
"GLANDORF CONVENT — The Sisters of the Precious Blood, established in Switzerland in 1834, began ministry in Glandorf, Ohio, in 1848 under the leadership of Swiss-born Father Francis de Sales Brunner. The Sisters, who were invited to Glandorf by the local people, lived in a small log hut donated to them by the village blacksmith until the Brothers of the Missionaries of the Precious Blood built a large convent. In July 1848, the Sisters began night hours of adoration in the chapel titled “Mary at the Holy Sepulcher.” As many as 50 Sisters lived in the convent at the same time and were involved in prayer, teaching, caring of orphans, farming, gardening, sewing, weaving, making shoes, hats, altar linens and altar breads, keeping bees and giving music lessons. The Sisters taught in the school from 1848 to 1996. After the large convent was sold in 1915, the Sisters lived in a smaller convent near the church from 1916 to 1986.
MARIA CAMP CONVENT — In 1850 the Sisters lived in a log building on 120 acres of land along the Blanchard River 3 miles outside of Glandorf. From 1850 to 1874 the Sisters prayed night hours of adoration in the chapel titled “Our Lady of Good Counsel.” After the Brothers built the large brick convent in 1852, they helped the 25 Sisters, as they did at the Glandorf Convent, to cultivate the farmland. When the Glandorf Sisters became self-supporting, Maria Camp closed and the convent and land were sold in 1874.
This monument honors the 78 Sisters of the Precious Blood who dedicated their lives in service to the needs of the German immigrants. One orphan child who died in the convent orphanage is buried with the Sisters. In 1947 the Sisters’ remains were reinterred from their original convent burial sites of Maria Camp and Glandorf to this cemetery."